Happy Friday beauty lovers!
I hope you’re enjoying Summer Jr. I love this time around. All the fests you can think of come to town. There’s a mac & cheese fest happening this weekend, and we’re approaching my all time favorite – rib fest.
I decided to do a series in continuation of my ‘foundation of all foundations’ review. I have taken it upon myself to volunteer myself as the sacrificial lamb to finding the best beauty products out there. After a lot of beauty products, and money spent, I narrow it down to my favorite products.
Today’s tribute is dedicated to finding the perfect eye liner. It is especially needed now, as it’s hot out, and typically the liners, and mascaras, are first to fall victim to the running heat. I love a good liner – and as you can see from my Instagram, 98% of my looks fall on a good liner. I’ve been wearing eyeliners for as long as I can remember, and while I have been satisfied with my choices for years, I finally decided enough. I can’t just be satisfied with an eyeliner. I need to be excited about it.
So, without further ado, below is my review on some eyeliners that I have used more recently, leading to my all time favorite eyeliner. My criteria for a good liner was based on the following: 1) Color, 2) Wearability, 3) application, 4) waterproof/smudge-proof, 5) Shelf life, and 6) price.
L’Oreal Voluminous Liner
- Color: Blackest Black. The color really is a true deep black. It’s not a faded black, which I love!
- Wearability: The finish of this eyeliner is matte. There’s no gloss to it, which is perfect. Does it last all day? Not so much. I have found it dry up and peel off in little patches. Either that, or it’s smudging everywhere.
- Application: I absolutely hate the application of this eyeliner. It’s such a shame because it’s a beautiful deep black, which happens to be a true matte too. It’s also affordable. But the applicant is the worst. It’s too rough, and it doesn’t glide over easily – meaning, your liner will more than likely not come off straight. Love the eyeliner, hate the tip.
- Waterproof/Smudge-proof: It’s a hit and miss with this eyeliner. I have found it to dry up more times than it has smudged, but, it does smudge. Especially when it’s hot or humid. It leaves a residue below the liner – and that’s not cute.
- Shelf life: It’s so hard to say with this product. It’s got a good amount of product, however, the tip makes it so hard to distinguish if you’re running out, or if it’s just too rough to release any product.
- Price: $12.99 CAD. It’s definitely affordable, and available at most drug stores. You do get what you pay for – a beautiful finish to a struggling application process.
Inglot Gel Liner
- Color: #77. I love this liner, and it is the only gel liner that I have used, BUT, it’s not a true deep black. It’s a very faded black finish, which is one of my biggest pet peeves. If I want black, I don’t want a light black, I want a deep black.
- Wearability: It does apply matte, as promised. I can certainly wear it throughout the day, but, just like the L’Oreal liner, I have found residue of the liner on my crease.
- Application: It’s a gel that you apply on with a brush. I love it because if the brush isn’t working out for me, I can just replace it with another. The number of times my liner hasn’t come on straight has been very limited with this product.
- Waterproof/Smudge-proof: I’d say it’s waterproof, but not smudge-proof. It’s lasted on my lids during rain, but, it has transferred when it’s hot, or when I’m sweating.
- Shelf life: It has a pretty good shelf life. What I love about this product is that the shelf life is in your hands to control. One thing you may find is that it can start to dry out the more you use of it, but, Inglot has a product especially designed to replenish that.
- Price: $22 CAD. It’s priced accordingly as to how much product you can get out of it, but, they do need to work on their black shade, and make it darker.
NYX Epic Ink Liner
- Color: Black. Like the Inglot liner, it’s not a deep black. It could be mistaken for dark grey from a distance, and comes off a little faded.
- Wearability: I love this product. I would go as far as to compare it to my runner up, Kat Von D. It wears all day, and it wears matte.
- Application: The application is smooth. I love the tip of it, and while it can get rugged, it’s certainly easy to apply.
- Waterproof/Smudge-proof: Yes, and yes. The only time I have found it to transfer a little is while I was working out. It transferred in both directions.
- Shelf life: It has a good shelf life. For the price, that is. Don’t expect it to last you all year, especially at the size of the product, but you can certainly make the most of it.
- Price: $8 CAD. It’s the cheapest on the list, and it’s my 3rd favorite. Like I mentioned above, it’s highly comparable to Kat Von D, and at a fraction of the price.
Runner Up: Kat Von D Tattoo Liner
- Color: Trooper. It really is a deep black shade, and I love it.
- Wearability: I swear this is what it says it is. A tattoo. You can literally wear this while fighting off 189 bears, and it’ll stay intact. It wears matte, as promised, and I’m sure if you never take your makeup off, it’ll stay on forever.
- Application: I like the application – but I would like it to glide on a little better. You’ll find that after using it a few times, the application gets more and more difficult to use. It’s also sensitive, so if you ruin the tip even slightly, your application becomes incredibly difficult.
- Waterproof/Smudge-proof: Yes to both. Like I said above, this wears like a tattoo. It doesn’t budge.
- Shelf life: Not where it should be for it’s price. I love it, but I think it needs more product. I find it runs out a lot faster than my number one pick.
- Price: $25 CAD. You get what you pay for, and it’s worth it. You can wear it all day and night, and it’ll stick to you like glue. It also wears beautifully.
Winner: Stila All-Day Waterproof Eye Liner
- Color: Jet black. Enough said. Jet black. It’s black, and it’s the right shade of black.
- Wearability: Like the KVD, this wears on all day. It’s never betrayed me, and my liner can stay sharp all day, regardless of what obstacles or hurdles I go through. The only thing I would change, THE ONLY THING, is that it doesn’t wear 100% matte. There’s an ever so slightly gloss to it, but apart from that, it’s perfect.
- Application: I LOVE the application. It’s runny, it’s smooth, and it makes gliding on your liner SO easy. AND, it doesn’t get more difficult to apply the more you use it. It’s a dream.
- Waterproof/Smudge-proof: Yes and Yes. It’s a waterproof liner, and you can literally swim the ocean, and go through tough mudder, and it’ll stay on, like the best friend that it is.
- Shelf life: This has to have some black magic in it. The reason I switched from KVD to this is for 1) the application, and 2) the shelf life. This has more product in it than anything on this list. I have been using mine for months straight, and it’s still applying like I bought it yesterday. I don’t know what it is, but Stila doesn’t cheat you – they make it a long-lasting friendship.
- Price: $29 CAD. Worth every dollar. It is the priciest of all liners, but it’s worth it. You wouldn’t have to buy a refill anytime soon with this, and that alone, makes it cost effective.
There you have it beauties. My holy grail eyeliner. Like I said, I think I’m going to be turning this into a series, and reviewing and rating all makeup products, to make life easy on all of you. If there’s a certain product that you’d like me to go test out, review, and crown a winner, then let me know.
I hope you enjoy the warm weekend ahead.